Updated: Apr 16, 2022
There are so many different legitimate ways to make money on-line. To make it easier to discuss the different options, I have broken it down into three different categories:
1.You want an additional income besides your day job,
2. You want to do both, your day job and use those same skills to start up an on-line, work at home, job that eventually you hope to do full time, or
3. You want to replace the job you have now with a full time on-line job.
I will talk about one category each week, starting with category number one, additional income or Side Hustle. I will then talk about at least five different examples of each and give you websites where you can look into it further if you wish. I think by breaking it down like this, it will benefit you the most.
We will start with side hustle. A Side hustle is, according to Wikipedia, a side job, also informally called a side hustle or side gig; an additional job that a person takes in addition to their primary job in order to supplement their income. All of the side hustles I will list are on-line jobs which you can work from home.
My top 5 favorite side hustles are:
Teaching English to children on-line. This is the most popular side hustle. It is quite easy to get hired to teach Chinese children English. Some platforms say that you must have at least a four year degree in order to teach but some do not have that pre-requisite. Some also say that you must have experience teaching. They do, however, count things like tutoring even if it is informal. So if you have ever helped your children with homework or helped tutor when in high school, you have experience. You are given a ciriculum to follow and they assign you to different children to tutor. You get paid so much an hour and there is usually a minimum amount of hours required. But once past that minimum, you can choose how many hours per week you want to work. Some websites that you may want to check out are: VIPKids.com, and QKids.com are popular options.
2. If you are crafty, open an online craft shop. At first I just put a few items on Etsy to see what would happen and to my surprise it became a nice extra income. It's very easy to set up shop and inexpensive to list your products. Etsy does all of the advertising for you so you don't have to worry about any marketing. (Which is a big deal). So if you make anything that is a bit unusual, try selling it online. It may just turn into more than a side hustle. Other platforms that you can sell handmade good besides Etsy.com are: Artfire.com, Amazonhandmade.com, Indiemade.com (a store for artists) and iCraftGifts.com (handmade art, crafts and fashion only). Similar to this is selling anything online, like on Ebay. You can clean out your house and sell the items you no longer want on Ebay. I know some people that clean out other peoples garages, basements, attics, then sell the things that they think people would be interested in, on Ebay. What a nice side hustle! Other places on-line to sell items other than arts and crafts are: Of course, everyone knows about Facebook Marketplace where you can sell just about anything. eBid.com is another site a lot like Ebay without the large fees. eCrater.com has acceptable fees if you sell something and the marketplace is free but you must drive your own traffic to your site. Marcari.com and Bonanza.com are good if you have clothing to sell.
3. Testing apps and websites to help developers make them less buggy, more functional and more user friendly. Companies will pay you to test a new app, so you want to give your honest opinion about it. Companies will also have you test apps and websites after they have been in use for awhile, to find out how they can make them generate more traffic.
Tests can be performed in person or remotely. Some have moderators and some do not.
Explorative vs. assessment vs. comparative testing
These three testing methods generate different types of information:
Explorative tests are open-ended. Participants are asked to brainstorm, give opinions, and express emotional impressions about ideas and concepts. The information is typically collected in the early stages of product development and helps researchers pinpoint gaps in the market, identify potential new features, and workshop new ideas.
Assessment research is used to test a user's satisfaction with a product and how well they are able to use it. It's used to evaluate the product's general functionality.
Comparative research methods involve asking users to choose which of two solutions they prefer, and they are used to compare a website with its primary competitors.
To get started, you could go to a site like usertesting.com. Website owners post gigs to the site, and you simply login and give feedback and usability ratings on different websites and online apps. You can earn up to $10 for each test you participate in. Other websites that do testing are: userfeel.com, userlytics.com, logicaldollar.com, and Intellizoom.com.
4. One of the most popular ways to make money online is delivering groceries, delivering meals, or driving people where they want to go. With apps like Instacart.com you do the clients shopping and then deliver the groceries to them. Another app that does the same thing is AmazonNow.com app.
Other apps deliver prepared meals to a customers home. Apps like Grubhub.com , Doordash.com, UberEats.com, and PostMates.com to name a few. I know a couple that make a full time income by delivering prepared meals to customers. They are their own bosses and set their own hours.
5. And last but not least, many people do a side hustle writing e-books. A very popular thing sold on-line today are e-books on any subject that you can imagine. This side hustle has boomed because with Amazon KDP it has become very easy to put together an e-book.
One author that I know of puts out a course on publishing e-books. He has made millions and has a webinar to teach others his step by step method of doing it. I have included the link to a FREE video, if you are interested in more detail.
So those are my five favorite side hustles. I hope it is of value to some of you. Next week I will be writing about five On-line jobs that could supplement your income by using some of the same skills that you use at your full time job.
I look forward to seeing you next week. 😊